Sep 8, 2013

Dawn of Worlds, A World Building Game



Review #07 – Free RPG

Dawn of Worlds, A World Building Game

This is a pretty popular game, so maybe you already knew about it, but it’s so good that I felt it deserved to be here.

Dawn of Worlds lets a group of players design a world from scratch, so it’s not only a game by itself; it’s also a tool you can use when creating a game world or to write a novel; or anything else, really. As a gaming tool, it’s useful because players can make sure that whatever they want does exist in the game world, and it takes a lot of pressure away from the GM.

But enough about that, I want to talk about it as a game, no a design tool. It’s a very fun game, and completely GM-free, so we stressed out GMs can rejoice.
Now, anyone familiar with roleplaying games knows that it’s a serious problem when everyone at the table doesn’t want the same thing. Add to that the fact that messing with someone else’s creation is almost a must here and you have a recipe for disaster.

Don’t get me wrong, it’s a great game and I highly recommend it. Just… try to play it with serious people, because it can get really ugly, really fast.

On a positive note, the worlds created are by far vaster and more complex that what anyone can create by themselves. The stories, the wars, the heroes, everything gets a life of their own pretty fast. You know what they say about too many cooks? Not true when creating a world, at least as far as realism goes.

And something I read a lot while researching for this article: please, don’t be a jerk and cheat a race during the first era with an avatar. That’s cheap, so don’t do it. Anyone who has actually played it must know what I mean.

- The Storeman


Disclaimer: I didn’t upload any of the content in the following link. I have downloaded and checked it as I always do. I have even executed it in my own computer and did not experience any kind of problems. But I can’t ensure that it is free of virus and/or malware that my anti-virus programs couldn’t find. That’s the author’s responsibility.



1 comment:

  1. ROBLOX is powered by an ever growing player base of more than 300,000 creator players who provide an infinite variety of highly immersive experiences.

    These experiences range from 3D games and contests, to interactive adventures where friends can take on new identities to imagine what it feels to be a dinosaur, a miner in a quarry or an astronaut on a space exploration.

    ReplyDelete